Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Things people say...

I'm often quite astonished by the kinds of things people share with me while I'm performing my duties at the local grocery store. The other night I was putting out milk and this lady in her mid 60s came up to me and started complaining about the price of milk. "Yes, it's gotten quite expensive," I concurred. Then she went into how she is lactose intolerant and she has to buy the lactose free milk because the soy milk tastes bad. "Oh, okay," I say. Then, she spurts this little gem (which I quote as verbatim as my memory allows):

"And what really gets me is MY government gives all the Spanish people 500 dollars a month in food stamps! It's just not right... but there's nothing we can do about it. Except pray."

And she walks away.

I was stunned. I should be used to this kind of thinking because I live in the South, but for some reason it just caught me so off guard. Let's think about how that prayer would go...

"Dear God, I'm white and therefore superior and you love me more so could you please stop giving the Hispanics food stamps? Amen."

-__-

No comments:

Post a Comment