Thursday, July 26, 2012

Calling out the Peters

I often get philosophical when I mow the yard. I think that is one reason why I like mowing so much. There is really nothing to do but think for about an hour and a half. Yesterday, while I was mowing, I had a lot on my mind. Most of it had to do with all the hate that has flooded my newsfeed lately. You see, I subscribe to a few news pages that update regularly to tell me what people are doing to take away my rights, to poison the food I eat, to ensure that I know I'm going to hell. Honestly, I need to unsubscribe from it all because it just makes my blood pressure rise. Of course, most, if not all, of the people saying these things label themselves "conservative Christians," albeit nothing they say is ever Christlike.

So, I was thinking about these people yesterday while on the mower and I was reminded of the time when Paul called out Peter for living a double standard.

11 But when Peter came to Antioch, I had to oppose him to his face, for what he did was very wrong. 12 When he first arrived, he ate with the Gentile Christians, who were not circumcised. But afterward, when some friends of James came, Peter wouldn’t eat with the Gentiles anymore. He was afraid of criticism from these people who insisted on the necessity of circumcision. 13 As a result, other Jewish Christians followed Peter’s hypocrisy, and even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. -Galatians 2:11-13

I feel as though Christians today live in some sort of hypocrisy like this. It seems Christians today are afraid to extend a loving welcome to those they consider "uncircumcised" for fear of being condemned by the likes of the Tea Party or Fox News. Those Christians who have done so (such as the Presbyterians) have faced scrutiny from their "brothers and sisters in Christ." It's time for this Peter generation to be called out. Shame on them for propagating hate and dissension in the name of Christ.  

No comments:

Post a Comment